Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google power over Android

From: Charles Seitz <cseitz () UTM EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:34:34 -0500

They do this with the Chrome browser already. I love the browser - it's
fast, it's clean, works with just about everything. But you'll notice that
you're never asked to update it, never see a pop up box saying that it is
updating, it just happens in the background very smoothly and cleanly with
no notice. Firefox, IE, Safari, much bigger deal to update and a much more
manual process. I assume that they've taken the same approach with Android
of making patches a seamless thing that just happens without the end user
noticing any difference.

My concerns revolve around how far they can take this process and how much
data they can remotely access on the device. I think Google needs to open up
about this before these can be acceptable to business or academia.

Charles A. Seitz
Senior Security Analyst
University of Tennessee Information Security Office
Martin Campus
cseitz () tennessee edu