Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google power over Android

From: "Stanclift, Michael" <michael.stanclift () ROCKHURST EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:27:31 -0500

You can look at it maliciously, but they already have the power to do OTA updates, and I think the intent of the remote
install is to issue security updates to the OS and other apps. My thinking is Apple has the same ability and I wouldn't
be shocked to see something similar come out of Microsoft as well with Windows Mobile 7. In the case of this remote
removal, they removed an application that (while only for research) accessed areas of the phone it shouldn't have.

Michael Stanclift | Network Analyst | Computer Services
Rockhurst University | 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110
Phone: 816.501.4231 | Fax: 816.501.4014 | http://help.rockhurst.edu

Help keep our campus green, think before you print!
RUCS will never ask you for your password!