Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

802.1X for wired ports

From: "Entwistle, Bruce" <Bruce_Entwistle () REDLANDS EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:21:26 -0700

We are currently looking for a method to secure wired ports located in locations accessible by the general public.  The
network devices to which these ports are connected are Cisco 3750 switches.  I have tested port based authentication
however I ran into the problem of not having the required supplicant installed.  We are trying to avoid having to do
configuration on the client(student) machines.  I was looking to find out what others have done to prevent users
outside the organization from simply connecting their computer through use of a patch cable and surfing the Internet.

Thank you
Bruce Entwistle
Network Manager
University of Redlands