Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Skype risk assessment

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:31:50 -0400

Our users are increasingly interested in using Skype.  Packet shaping
and port blocking have been used by my network colleagues to limit its
use and they've also discouraged users from using it, but our controls
(including administrative) and procedures are not mature.  I've offered
to have my office to look into the business needs that are trying to be
met and to perform a risk assessment.  It's likely we'll schedule this
for this summer.  Have any of you performed risk assessments of Skype
which you'd be willing to share?

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer