Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mtgs with people outside of IT?

From: Barbara Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:26:47 -0400

Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU> wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2010 09:15:06 MDT, "Raymond, Jessica" said:

in which to discuss IT security topics with people outside of IT.  I've
been doing this for a year now and find myself at a loss for what to
discuss in the meeting and how to make it beneficial and worthwhile for
those in attendance.  Do you hold these types of meetings, and if so,
what agenda items are discussed?

Radical concept - make a list of the people/offices that should be attending
(with particular emphasis on those that *don't* attend), contact them, and
ask *them* what presentations would be most likely to get them involved. You'll
probably get a lot of "I feel like an idiot, but I don't understand University
Policy 193A-5", "Can somebody explain how to do XYZ right without hosing
up our business practices?", or "I saw a thing online that somebody figured
out that all our antivirus are useless, what's up with that?"(*).

Hope that helps.

(*) AV broken? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/07/argument_switch_av_bypass/
Not really:
F-Secure: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001949.html
Trend: http://countermeasures.trendmicro.eu/you-just-cant-trust-a-drunk/
Sophos: http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2010/05/11/khobe-vulnerability-game-security-software/
ESET: http://www.eset.com/blog/2010/05/11/khobe-wan-these-arent-the-droids-youre-looking-for

There you go - instant in-the-news topic.  By the time you explain what
a TOCTTOU race is, and then explain why it doesn't matter *that* much in this
case because it depends on an already-compromised box, your time will be up. ;)