Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized Antivirus Recommendation

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 12:14:25 -0400

I'd have to second that.  Even though we're researching our options, I
have to say ePO 4.x is extroardinarly powerful.  I went from practically
choking on epo3.6.x to actually liking epo 4+.

When I actually compare it to the other AV packages we've considered thus
far, they are clearly less flexible on the management side, but of course
management is not the only variable to think of so we're keeping an open
mind when it comes to desktop performance etc.  Mcafee 8.7i made some
performance improvements and the new Mac version runs much better too.

With ePO, I can do thinkg like automatically tag, classify, report or
organize machines based on everything from OS and OS version to subnet, or
almost any generally useful computer property you can imagine.
Correlation with userame, mac address, ip and computername is also done
automatically and clients can be located by by these.  But more
importantly once you spend an hour or so figuring out the dashboards and
queries you can do things like setup graphs to display infections or
malware rates per subnet, buidling or whatever your logical network
topology will allow you to define.

It can gives you a way to keep users where they are supposed to be grouped
at any point in time.  (For example with other av, I can't automatically
move users to the right group efficiently.)  It's most useful for me to
group users by subnet.   When you have a NAC that uses vlan switching or
remediation subnets to install the AV and manage access this becomes a
potential issue.  Once in production and their IP changes the students are
no longer a member of that subnet in which they installed the AV. With
ePO, because it updates all parameters on every communication (interval
determined by you), your clients can be organized much more efficiently
than systems that require you to manually move users.  Having command-line
options install options for grouping helps, but not all we've tested have
this option.

        One thorn in my side with Mcafee though is that they do not provide to my
knowledge a simple integrated tool to spit out a simple installer file for
pc and mac users so we must make our own installer/uninstaller packages.
There's no reason for this level of extra effort.  I don't like the
recommended install from an SMB share idea recommendation of many vendors
because we use NAC (which is web-oriented) and smb shares are not the same
thing as web pages or web shares so we need single file installers since
our students' computers are not joined to a domain therefore they cannot
access shares and we cannot not push installers to them.   Even open
shares require some credentials which adds unnecessary complexity in
directions.  Other AV vendors make this a tad easier by providing you an
ability to spit out an install file.  The "Universal " installers (ex,
Mcafee shell script installer) for unix makes good sense for programmers,
but it makes no sense for the legions of Mac users who got Macs in the
first place because they thought PCs were complicated and clumsy.
Requiring them to use terminal and sudo and know how to change to some
obscure case-senitive directory to install or uninstall something they
could do with a wizard makes zero sense to me.

(Okay, I'm off my soapbox now)

D/C

The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
In our testing of Sophos it was a solid product.  The huge downside for us
was that we were trying to manage multiple domains (still > 8) via a
single
central management server.  Epolicy Orchestrator makes this fairly easy,
one
has to have a user account on each domain that can iterate the OU/Computer
structure (a guest user is generally sufficient), then configure things to
update at a reasonable interval.  Sophos uses the computer account of the
enterprise console server to synchronize the OU/Computer structure. Since
computer can't be a direct member of multiple domains, this wouldn't work
for our configuration.  Initially, Sophos recommended that we simply run
one
management console per domain (not likely), then later offered to write us
some scripts (or provide us, more likely) that would do an out of band
pull
of this information from the domains, then import it into the Sophos
Console.  After some discussions, that seemed like a good way to break
things very effectively as each new version is released, and we continued
our relationship with McAfee.

In fairness to McAfee: Epolicy Orchestrator, with little effort, is an
extraordinary centralized management and reporting system.  Yes, it's Java
based (runs a Tomcat server on the back end, so it's a resource hog on the
server and can be slow-ish at times on the front end), but in spite of
that
ePO 4.5 (the latest version) runs pretty well until you load it up with 40
million events (and even then it was our very old and underpowered SQL
server that fell over).

We're in the process of reorganizing our AD structure to reduce the number
of domains and forests that we have, so Sophos (or some other vendor with
similar limitations) is again a possibility.

<rant>
Last, one comment in case managers are still reading:

Management of Antivirus software _needs_ to be pulled out of the security
office.  This software, like any other endpoint management software, needs
to be run by those that are providing centralized IT resources for
endpoint
management.  Security needs to be involved in helping make the risk
decisions related to what default settings should be enabled and should be
able to leverage any centralized logs resulting from any endpoint
management
system, but should not be responsible for managing these systems. As an
additional point, WSUS is just another endpoint management system.
</rant>

-- KS