Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized Antivirus Recommendation

From: Alex Keller <alkeller () SFSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 13:57:17 -0700

I've deployed both McAfee (Network Associates) Protection Pilot and its
bigger brother ePolicy Orchestrator. the latter is fairly powerful and
gives you a great deal of granular control, but i find the interface to
be clunky, unintuitive, and highly repetitive. part of my criticism of
ePO is probably related to fact that i don't have the time to fully
leverage it out in our environment, we just don't have the luxury of
having a dedicated anti-virus admin. in some cases more is less,
especially if you just don't have the time to properly manage every part
of the deployment and configuration....but the bottom line is that ePO
isn't all that impressive (IMHO).

best,
alex

--