Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account Lockout Settings

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:57:25 +1200

On 28/04/2010, at 7:32 AM, Roger Safian wrote:

At 02:25 PM 4/27/2010, Rivers, Andrew E put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
As our users change their password, it never fails that at least one of these many devices will continue to
authenticate with the old password and, as you guessed, lock out their account.

Our group advocates the use of lockouts that expire after some point
of time.  Lockouts that don't expire can just be used as a denial
of service attack.

Amen.

If you enforce good passwords up front the need for lock out largely disappears as the accounts are not vulnerable
password guessing.

UNIX approach to this is to for a network reconnect after 3 attempts -  this dramatically slows down guessing attempts.
 I have seen many brute force attempts on ftp accounts in my snort logs -- typically attackers give up on UNIX boxes
after about 100 attempts but the same attackers will try a 1000 times on a windows server.  (figures are order of
magnitude ;) Presumably because windows never drops the session.