Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Account Lockout Settings

From: "Rivers, Andrew E" <rivers () TENNESSEE EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:25:28 -0400

Good Afternoon,

On a related topic to the recent password discussion, our current
account lockout policy is getting a lot of attention.  As the number of
our always-on, always-connected devices continues to grow - desktop,
laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc.  So grows our number of users that get locked
out during password changes.

As our users change their password, it never fails that at least one of
these many devices will continue to authenticate with the old password
and, as you guessed, lock out their account.

Are any of you experiencing similar problems?  How are you addressing
account lockouts?

Andy Rivers
Senior Security Analyst, Office of Information Technology
Information Security Office