Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto.

From: Matthew Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:51:34 -0400

We've been using Palo Alto as a content filter for a few months now and have been extremely satisfied.  We put it in
tap mode to start, and immediately had much more visibility into our Internet traffic.  We slowly rolled out URL
filtering, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and IPS.  We've also used it a number of time to investiage incidents.

One of my favorite features is that, using their AD agent, we can correlate users with IP addresses, allowing us to
apply different policies to different groups of users.  For instance, we can't block porn for library staff, faculty,
and students, but we can block it for staff and public access machines.  Palo Alto lets us do this much easier by user
instead of IP.

Another great use is you can pick out the bulk of P2P traffic and either rate limit it (QoS) it or block it completely.
 Or create an AD group of allowed users and only allow it for them.

Easy to troubleshoot with, no false positives yet, good reporting, very customizable.  It's worth a 30-day demo unit if
you're in the market.

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Manager of IT Security