Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto.

From: "O'Callaghan, Daniel" <Daniel.OCallaghan () SINCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:56:40 -0400

We have been using the Palo Alto firewalls for a couple of years and
really like them. We initially piloted in 'tap only' mode in conjunction
with our primary CheckPoint FWs, and gradually turned on blocking rules
and controls of the PA as threats were identified.  We recently migrated
to using the PA as primary. They provide excellent visibility into
Internet/network traffic and permit really granular control over
applications and protocols, and the still support 'traditional' FW
rules.
The A-V/Malware blocking has significantly helped to reduce compromised
machines. We have had a couple of false positive threats detected, but
PA support has been easy to work with and very responsive.

The one area we would like PA to improve is in offering
education/training. The 'next generation' technology offers a lot of
potential (DLP, secure social networking, PCI security zones, WAF, UTM),
but there is little 'how to' documentation and training sessions have
been mostly limited to their Sunnyvale, CA location. It does appear that
PA's training offerings at other locations are beginning to increase.

Daniel V. O'Callaghan, Jr., MBA, CISSP, GCFA
Chief Information Security Officer
Sinclair Community College
444 W Third St, 13-000F
Dayton, OH 45402