Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: "Tonkin, Derek K" <Derek_Tonkin () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:49:01 -0500

I think a lot of the confusion and difficulty could be reduced by losing the thinking that each password “if I'm
responsible, needs to be different”.  I think this is one of those areas where the cost vs. risk mitigated is badly out
of balance.  You’ve clearly established that you basically have two sets of information, sensitive and non-sensitive.
To me that would indicate the need for two passwords.

It is a fair amount of work if you discover you’ve been compromised but if you had different passwords for all of those
accounts you’d more than likely end up writing them down together somewhere and if you do that then more than likely
losing one password would typically mean you’d lost all of your passwords and would thus still have to do all of the
same work.

Furthermore, this would reduce both the burden of high password strength and the need to write passwords down since you
would only be keeping track of two passwords at a time.  Of course you could come up with a three-level approach or
whatever but the advantages of having different passwords for everything are greatly outweighed by the burden having
all those different passwords creates.

-------------Baylor University-------------
Derek Tonkin
Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Services - Security
derek_tonkin () baylor edu        254-710-7061