Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:26:47 -0500

Unlikely that it'll change the audit book.

Nor should it, necessarily.  The study is really predicated on consumer accounts, and doesn't address duty of care
issues for data custodians, among other things.  I've rarely seen that mentioned over the last five months' discussion,
since the paper was published.

One particularly acute point on this topic is the paper's assertion that financial fraud loses the use nothing.  While
true for some financial accounts situations for personal accounts, that is demonstrably not true for US commercial
online bank accounts (see Krebsonsecurity.com for many examples), and as I recall isn't true for all personal banking
accounts in other countries.

All that said, it's a goodish paper, and we've all known that passwords are horrid for well over a decade, but
substantial progress on password replacement is pretty poor, overall.

    -jml