Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What's wrong with application whitelisting?

From: Jimi Schwar <schwarj () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:21:55 -0400

I see nothing wrong with application whitelisting, I'm actually a huge
fan of it.  We have been using Bit9 Parity software in our computing
labs for the last 2 years and this greatly reduced any issues with the
machines.  We have yet to see a piece of malware actually infect a box,
nor have students been able to find a way around the software.

The software approval process is usually easy, though I have run into a
few pieces of software that have taken a decent amount of time to get
fully approved.  But the amount of time of approving the software is
nothing compared to the amount of time that would be required
disinfecting/reimaging these machines.

Jim Schwar