Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Metasploit and NeXpose

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:10:47 +1000

Hi all,

We are reviewing scanning tools to apply to our web environment to find
the problems before the bad guys do.  I've gone back through the list
archive and read the "Rapid7 NeXpose" thread from June last year.

I've just spoken to a sales manager from Rapid7 (I was impressed, he
called me in Australia after the web interface to request further
information broke and I wound up emailing sales () rapid7 com) and got the
blurb from them about the difference between Metasploit and NeXpose.

I was wondering who here uses Metasploit or NeXpose and would be very
interested in finding out if anyone has moved from Metasploit to NeXpose.

We currently use Nessus for doing OS level scans and the basic cgi/web
based scans Nessus can do.  I would be interested in hearing people's
opinions on the advantages or otherwise between Nessus and
Metasploit/NeXpose.

Thanks,
--
Greg Vickers