Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Securing common access computers

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:24:36 -0700

 We use DeepFreeze in some areas, but not in all.  Besides users (usually
students but we don't know that's always the case...) downloading and
installing unauthorized software, we have some number who believe they're
entitled to unplug the college machine (cutting though any inconvenient
cable ties in the way) to plug a personal machine into the network.  (Our
most serious virus infestations have arrived this way!)  And I've had one
report of someone bringing in an external FireWire hard drive and rebooting
a college machine from it, so although it was mostly legitimate hardware the
O/S environment was entirely rogue.

David Gillett, CISSP