Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Securing common access computers

From: "Witmer, Robert" <r.witmer () SNHU EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:08:44 -0400

Even though we require every student to have a laptop computer, historically our organization has provided personal
computers in common areas around main campus/remote campuses for students to access specialized software, print papers,
access email or their student accounts, etc.   I'm wondering how other organizations are securing their common access
computers located in pc labs, library, etc.  Specifically, from a hardware point of view, does someone inventory every
device for hardware key loggers/recording devices?  Do you require users to log into the machine for accountability?
Do you restrict users from executing programs other than those you've loaded on the pc?

Thanks,
Bob