Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Thawte Enterprise Certificate Center

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:02:27 +1300

On 13/01/2010, at 2:59 AM, Laurie Zirkle wrote:

I can't answer Gary's question either, but I'm not very impressed with
their new system.  I have no authority to approve Thawte certificates,
but I'm the one that generates the CSRs for all the Thawte certificates
that my machines use (thankfully, not many).  My biggest beef at the
moment is their renewals.  Up until December, any renewal was good
from the time it was issued until 1 year from the original expiration.
Now, the renewal is only good from the time it was issued for exactly
one year.

Hey, I wondered why they just started sending out renewal notices *three* months ahead, now I know! (expletives deleted
;)

We have just signed up with AusCERT for their Comodo based service. We have pushed over 100 certs through their system
over the last month (all our IPSCA certs) and will replace the Thawte ones as they expire.  AusCERT Rocks!

Unfortunately the service is only available to AusCERT Members but I do highly recommend it to those of you who do
belong to AusCERT (I know there are at least two others ;)