Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Managing App/Equip/Peripheral Status and Release Information

From: Paul Keser <pkeser () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:02:28 -0700

Keri-

We have an open source tool that we wrote called NetDB that we use for
managing anything with an IP:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/networking/netdb/

Disclaimer...I had nothing to do with writing NetDB (a relief to anyone
who knows my coding skills), I wouldn't even consider myself a power
user but it is really slick :-)

- -PaulK

Paul Keser
Assoc. Information Security Officer
Stanford University
650.724.9051
GPG Fingerprint:  DBA3 E20F CE91 28AA DA1C  4A77 3BD9 C82D 2699 24FB

Then, Keri wrote:
Does anyone have a shareware or near free solution for managing their
application, hardware, and network equipment status/release information
from an enterprise perspective?

We have now grown to over 75 applications (running on physical and
virtual machines) plus we need to track apps and OS releases on data and
voice appliance, server, and networking equipment, video surveillance
equipment, other IP video equipment, plus peripheral devices.
Spreadsheets are just not cutting it anymore and WSUS is great for WIN
OS and Cisco Works is good for NOS and switches but what about apps and
other OS?

Sorry for the cross postings if you subscribe to more than one list.

Keri

Keri A. Then

Director of Enterprise Services, ITS

University of Redlands