Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email account used by multiple people

From: Kevin Skelly <kskelly () OIT UMASS EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:50:47 -0500

I don't know if this is followed across our school, but I try to get
them to use mailing lists. It depends on the specific case of what
they're trying to do. If they like to use it for transferring and
storing files, I encourage them to use our online file storage, for
example. Some groups who want this may be better served by a blog or a
wiki if it's about communication and collaboration. Your feelings about
it are on the money. The group usage of a single account often leads to
bad results. I can't think of any users who have stubbornly stuck to
using the wrong service for the job, or the wrong use of a service,
after *all* of the pros and cons have been explained. Usually it ends up
they can see the true benefits of incorporating best computing practices
into what they're trying to accomplish.

That said, we actually do have an account that we use internally in our
office that 4 people have access to. We use it for a purpose where our
messages need to come from the same address, and we need to be able to
respond in a timely manner. The one person who owns the account can't
always be here, so that seemed to be the best we could hope for in this
case. That doesn't mean I like it though.