Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email account used by multiple people

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:04:43 -0600

What is your policy regarding the creation of an email address to be
shared by several users such that each person has the password to the
account?  I am not referring to an alias that can distribute email to
multiple people but an actual account with a password.  I have been
resistant to the creation of these accounts because I feel that there is
no accountability for what is done with the account because many people
share it.  I am getting requests to create these types of accounts and I
would like to know how other schools deal with this issue.

--

Brother Kenneth Arnold
Director of Network Systems