Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Lost & Found mobile devices

From: Sam Hooker <samuel.hooker () UVM EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:08:24 -0500

We don't yet have an institution-wide approach that I'm aware of, but it
bears noting that "lost" removable media have been known to be a vector
for malware; a vector which depends upon the curiosity of the finder for
propagation.

We recently had a discussion about this at UVM; The suggestion I liked
best was basically, "retain, don't inspect, destroy after a certain
period if unclaimed".

Cheers,

-sth

--