Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: External LDAP Authentication through the firewall

From: "Michael J. Wheeler" <mwheeler () PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:59:43 -0600

We have an InterLibrary Loan vendor querying our Sun LDAP servers for
authentication. MS LDAP is a very different beast though. It's the only
LDAP server I know of that defaults to "allow" viewing information about
others. It is also the only LDAP server I know of that doesn't promote the
use of ACLs to restrict what information accounts can see.

If I were running a MS LDAP server, I'd probably deny the request because I
couldn't adequately secure the information on the server. But, with any
other LDAP server, you should be able to secure the data and be perfectly fine.

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Assistant Director, Systems and Networking