Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: External LDAP Authentication through the firewall

From: James Cooley <jcooley () FIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:53:00 -0500

Allowing an outside vendor to use your internal LDAP for authentication would be very dangerous.  From a compliance
standpoint, you could be exposing FERPA-related information to the vendor if protected information can be queried.
From a security standpoint, you would be giving the vendor the ability to capture your users' passwords (whether they
do it, or someone attacking their servers does it).  You can control security on your side, but you have no control
over the security on their side.  What if they are compromised and you end up with several potential accounts with
compromised credentials?  In this case, the university would probably take the heat and need to notify the affected
individuals.

Your security auditors would also likely frown upon this kind of access, so that could be another approach you can
take.

If you tell the vendor no, you can try asking if there are other ways to perform the authentication.  If this is for a
web-application, technologies such as CAS provide authentication capabilities for web-services and allow all of the
authentication to be performed on your own servers - the user never enters their password on a third-party password.

--
James Cooley
Information Security Officer