Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ActiveSync policy application/compatibility

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:45:55 -0500

Does anyone know of a matrix that shows which ActiveSync policies are
understood and applied by which devices?  I found that Apple has a list of
the AS policies that apply to iPhones here -
<http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iPhone_Security_Overview.pdf>
http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iPhone_Security_Overview.pdf
and Palm covers the topic for the Pre (
<http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/solutions/article/58
353_en.html>
http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/solutions/article/583
53_en.html).  It appears that Android doesn't support any AS policies (
<http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4475>
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4475).  So far I haven't
had luck finding anything about Symbian support of AS policies.

I found two decent MS pages, but still not an overall matrix of what is
supported on each platform.

Understanding AS policies:

 <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123484.aspx>

Understanding Mobile Phones (one of my new favorite MS page titles):

 <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232129.aspx>

This second page mentions some of the specific iPhone policy capabilities,
but doesn't mention policies on others.  It even glosses over the Palm Pre
by simply saying that Palm "offers several Windows Mobile phones."

Ideally, I'd like a matrix that lists the policies and the various device
platform versions and says which ones support the setting and highlights any
bad interactions (like the iPhone encryption policy issue).  If anyone has
knows of a good reference for AS policy compatibility, or has done the work
themselves already, I'd appreciate a pointer.

(forgive the cross-posting - I haven't had luck yet on Win-hied or HEEA)

Thanks,

Brad Judy

Emory University