Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Administering OSSEC

From: Will Froning <will.froning () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:22:27 +0400

Hello Eric,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Eric C. Lukens <eric.lukens () uni edu> wrote:
1) Has anyone purchased support for OSSEC, like from Trend Micro? If so,
do you feel the added "perks" and the support were worth the cost?

We just use the free version.

2) Roughly how many man-hours of work did it take to get the alerts in
OSSEC "tuned" properly in your network?

Depends on how many machines you are looking to monitor and what you
want to know about.  We monitor about 70 including our domain
controllers.  I've also made ours a bit more chatting for some things
(logon/off, sudo, etc.)  for certain servers.  On the flipside, we
don't have PCI as a concern here.  We use it just to keep an eye on
our environment.

3) Roughly how many man-hours does it take to look through the logs each
day?

It can take up to 2 hours if it was a patch day.  Normally about 15 minutes.

Thanks,
Will

--
Will Froning