Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Administering OSSEC

From: "Bradley, Stephen W. Mr." <bradlesw () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:57:33 -0500

We put OSSEC on our PCI servers (Linux and Windows) and have the management end of it running on one of our Syslog
servers.

It took about a week off and on to tune it and we use the e-mail function to let us know instead of constantly checking
the logs.  Unless you hire someone to just look at the logs it will be the last thing that anyone will do every day and
it won't get done.

It was an eye opener to see how many people lock themselves out of the servers every day.

steve