Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Anyone using Webdrive for secure file transfers?

From: "Jason C. Belford" <jason.belford () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:42:31 -0500

Kris,

I searched the list archives on this and didn't find much discussion.
I'm wondering if anyone is using Webdrive
(http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html).

Webdrive (client) allows you to open and edit server-based files without
the additional step of downloading the file.
Maps a drive letter on a Windows machine to a server running FTP, SFTP,
WebDAV, Amazon S3, FTP/S.
Mac OS X client is also listed.
Interested in hearing both Windows and Mac OS X experiences and any pros
and cons you may be able to provide.
Regards,

Georgia Tech has a site license for WebDrive (for Windows).  It was requested by one of our departments and was cheaper
to buy a 2 year site license than it was to buy the individual licenses.  We use it to keep files centrally located
(and off laptops).  Using Webdrive, the files can be accessed (easily) from on/off campus.  There are some issues to
consider with file caching, but overall it works well.

I think the growth of our vpn will eventually phase out the use of this product here.

--Jason

--
Jason C. Belford
Information Security Manager