Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Membership in REN-ISAC?

From: "Fletcher, Robert" <Robert_Fletcher () BROWN EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:49:41 -0500

I don't speak for REN-ISAC but I think the difference they are trying to
illustrate comes down to this.

A System Administrator responsible for the institution's email systems which
includes various security responsibilities would probably not be eligible;
whereas, an Information Security Engineer who spends most of his/her time
focusing on email related issues would probably be eligible.

A System Administrator for mail services is not usually a security
professional and probably doesn't report to the CISO. The bulk of the other
responsibilities of the System Administrator are unlikely to be security
related. An information security professional may spend most of his/her time
working on email issues but other tasks assigned to him/her are more likely
to be security related.

Is your position subordinate to the CISO (or CSO) of your organization?

Bob Fletcher
(401) 863-7290