Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: High levels of DMCA notifications

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:07:35 -0500

We have only received a couple of pre-litigation letters in 2009 (from a company that started representing copyright
holders in May 2009). When we met with the students, we informed them that we neither knew the legitimacy of this
company nor whether there would be a follow up if no settlement occurred.
I do agree that more companies seem to fill the void left by the RIAA not pursuing any pre-litigation letters.
Based on formal requirements, the letters that we received met our standards for processing as take down notices. Due
to new company and a lack of their track record, we did not process the letters as we did RIAA pre-litigation letters,
but instead chose to inform the students regarding our research into the company (new venture, no evidence of lawsuits
against infringers etc) and provided the students with additional information, if they decided to seek legal counsel
and possible consequences of such action.
I would be nice to have a clearinghouse for representatives of copyright holders to register similar to the
registration for DMCA agents of universities. Such a registration would alleviate some of the questions on whether a
notice is legitimate or an attempt to make money of students.

 - Eva