Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automated/Scripted UnInstall of Symantec AV

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:56:36 -0500

Sorry for the mess of links that appears below.

For many of the releases of SAV, this article points in the right
direction,
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/how-to-silently-and-remotely-remove-symantec-antivirus-14625.
You'll still have to check for all the msi product codes that have been
in use in your organization.  The comments have quite a bit of helpful
information as well.

If admins have set uninstall passwords for SAV/SEP, you'll want to
script some registry removals before attempting the uninstall.  Better
yet, alter the policies used by SAV/SEP to remove the uninstall
password. The following links help with that:
http://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-uninstall-symantec-endpoint-protection-sep-client-silently-using-command-line
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/so-many-computers-so-little-time-14632

Overall, your script is going to have a lot of "msiexec.exe /q/x
<product code>" in it, with every product code that may have been used.
Uninstalling via MSI logic should take care of most machines.  There are
probably some you'll have to run Cleanwipe or NoNav on, and there are
also some scripts written to try and remove all traces of SAV/SEP.  I
don't know how good or safe they are, but check out the Symantec Forums
(http://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums) to find them.

The Symantec Forums are fairly useful, criticisms of Symantec and their
support do not appear to be censored and usually are addressed.

Here are some other helpful links:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008090908381148?Open&seg=ent
for more information on SEP removal
http://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-uninstall-10000-symantec-endpoint-protection-clients#comment-2723101