Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information on Public website

From: "Sarazen, Daniel" <dsarazen () UMASSP EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:27:21 -0500

OK, I'm studying for the CISSP, and one of the test questions is exactly
this topic, with the correct answer (for the test) being "the company
directory should be unavailable to the public in any form."

And that's fine for the private sector where the biggest concerns
involves (or at least used to) having their talent stolen, or unionized,
and unsolicited sales. I'm not certain that control aligns with the
mission of Higher Ed, but this is where management weighs the perceived
risk and then makes an informed decision.

I guess they should also consider the increased risk of social
engineering. If I know who works where, it makes it easier to gain
trust.