Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google's Sidewiki

From: Wes Young <wcyoung () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:57:51 -0400

Correct, google serves it, but from what i've heard there will be (or is) a least a way to signify that "i'm the site owner", at least giving you some identification in the comments (again, no sign control). There is also rumor of comment voting to help reduce spam, etc (slashdot/digg like).

i've been messing around with a bit, seems like an interesting (AOL walled garden like) idea [How soon until I don't leave google while i'm browsing? :)]

www.tiwt.tv/twig -- last show or two has discussed this (and wave) in depth if you want more detail. The do talk about the case of "thats terrible that people can comment w/o any control over it", but it IS hosted at google, so.. They're just wrapping the conversation around a search result.

Luckily at this stage in the game, it's just in the tool bar and not even in chrome (yet). They appear to be taking the stance "the real time web exists outside your domain", "the conversation is socially connected and exists outside your domain" and thats something we're all gonna have to get used to (I think?).

In my mind i'm thinking: At least google is actively centralizing the conversation around your site (unlike twitter / facebook / etc... where you have to search for the conversation first). People are gonna talk about your site whether we like it or not. If they can keep the comments useful and non-malicious, given the popularity of the other social tools out there, i think it will be an interesting tool. What I think would be neat; is if they brought not only their comment systems in, but also twitter (and/or FB) analytics too, so I could see what's being talked about right now for a particular domain. Instead of having to go to three different places to get the real-time thread.

I realize the difference between someone spamming maliciousness about you on twitter is slightly different than in a comment thread that appears to be "on your site" (i think thats almost a legal term right there :)), but in todays web, does that matter? what do the users want (remember; the sites aren't the consumers in this model)? I don't think the answer is "a tightly controlled comment structure around each particular site". I think users want "the information" about the product so they can be the judge (just like in search results).

Obviously my argument isn't very security (or even legal) friendly; i know that. But between this and wave, it's about bringing the "real time web" ... to the web. Which makes our jobs as security professionals harder. It will be interesting to see how this shapes out...