Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Strange E-mails

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:10:47 -0500

For many many years, I've received similar emails.  All the symptoms of spam
but selling nothing and no attachments, either.

I don't know.

If testing the address, why not have a real payload (spam) anyway.  It doesn't
cost any more.  Its content isn't really something to elicit a response either.
Also testing the validity the address is most frequently (and successfully) done
by including a unique URL which contains the email address as parameter.

I've been receiving things like this from time to time for over 10 years
now, and I don't have a satisfactory answer.