Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

server tape restoration testing

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:03:27 -0600

We had an audit done awhile back, and one of their recommendations was "tape restoration procedure - yearly testing
should be done on production servers."  We do a couple restores on files which people accidently delete during the
month, but since we got our new tape backup system (~1 year ago) we haven't had the need to do a complete server
restore from tape.  A number of our servers are VMware virtual servers, but we also have some "bare metal" servers as
well.  We have 100+ servers, and I'd be interested what other schools do to test tape restoration for complete server
restores.
Please email me off list, and I will summarize.
Jason Youngquist
Information Technology Security Engineer, Security+
Technology Services
Columbia College
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334