Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network IPS Information Security Policy

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:37:20 -0500

Let me make something clear. I don't have a problem with the need to
examine 'anything' in order to protect the infrastructure. I've been
an advocate of that since day 1. I'm just trying to figure how to
"market" this capability to the general public in order to prevent a
backlash. We had an incident a couple of years ago here where a dept
head's computer was confiscated during a graffitti investigation. Yes,
there's more to the story and the computer was a university owned
device. The backlash from everyone led us to start an awareness
campaign about the difference between personal and university owned
devices.

The general public understands to some degree the concept of
firewalls. They maybe realize that monitoring ports is not the same as
monitoring content. IPS change those rules. I'm trying to devise an
awareness unit to address this. A list of procedures (Brian, I didn't
see your attachment until after I hit send and then it magically
appeared :-)) and some ideas that I've seen so far are helping me
frame that PR thing in my head.

-r.