Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network IPS Information Security Policy

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:53:37 -0500

This is an interesting thread and I have another question to ask.
Given the nature of IPS and it's ability to basically read any email,
chat, or any data sent through the wire, how are institutions dealing
with the potential public relations nightmare of explaining to your
constituents that this device and its keepers have that ability? Does
anyone have a stock answer of "balancing security of the
infrastructure with the ability for transmissions to be monitored"?
Has anyone run into this situation? I can see spinning the answer to
say that "encryption" is the best way to go but then that will start
to limit the ability of the IPS to detect attack payloads.

Just wondering.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab