Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Basic Practical IPSec Documentation?

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () NYU EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:56:18 -0400

Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb531150.aspx,
especially the introductory overviews or is this the documentation
you are lamenting ;-)

That is indeed the main source of my woes.

The other take home is it's not too hard if you can push
out IPSEC certs to everyone using MS CA.  Otherwise it's hard.

I'm actually very much pushing in the other direction.  We don't have a
large enterprise-wide IPSec deployment and don't expect to ever have
one.  However, we do recommend it as a spot fix when a couple of backend
systems employ some poorly designed protocol.  In this kind of situation
where no system is ever going to speak IPSec to more than 1 or 2 other
boxes PSK is more than adequate and it really *isn't* hard (although the
UI is quite obtuse).  Anyway, if I can't find something I'll likely
scribble it together myself and post a follow-up to the list if/when it
happens.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo