Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background Checks Revisited

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ewhudson () CSUCHICO EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:49:09 -0700

Mike, That is correct that state law supersedes however the annual requirement (as stated in your note) applies only if
the person in question was a QSA. As a former QSA I am not aware of any higher edu. that operates as an assessing
entity and offers PCI assessment services for hire and thus would have active QSA's on their staff.
PCI DSS (12.7) Requires screening of potential employees who are going to come in contact with cardholder data prior to
hiring but the scope is pretty broad:

"Inquire with Human Resources dept. management and verify that back ground checks are conducted (within the constraints
of local laws) on employees who prior to hire who will have access to cardholder data or the cardholder data
environment. (Examples of background check include previous history, criminal record, credit history and records
checks.)

No person can get an offer of employment on our campus without having the hiring manager check references and some
roles require actual criminal history checks.

Ed Hudson, CISM
Information Security Office
California State University, Chico
www.csuchico.edu/ires/security