Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal Email

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:15:03 -0600

No, but we have a policy (#557) that says:

"Email service will be provided to all employees to be used in support of their job function.  Additional use of the
email service for personal purposes, consistent with the Appropriate Use Policy (#550), is permitted during the term of
employment; however, personal messages should be grouped separately from business-related messages to facilitate any
needed access to business-related messages.   Users should recognize that, although the Information Privacy Policy
(#556) applies, email privacy and security cannot be guaranteed by the technology and systems in use."

Our AUP prohibits "commercial, entrepreneurial or profit-making activities" as well as "Doing the work of commercial,
political or religious organizations", but does not restrict  the expression of personal views of a political or
religious nature.  And our Information Privacy Policy protects our users from random or unsupervised snooping.

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
  Stop by the "Security Bunker" in SER 301 to see our network
  visualizers showing the continual attacks by outsiders.
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University