Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Alerting tool

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:37:06 -0400

Peter Charbonneau wrote:

SNMP read interface OID string to get bytes in.  In one (two, five)
minutes read the counter again, if the difference between the two
reads is less than value x, but more than value y, page as "down".

I would prefer and open source tool.  I am using Cisco routers.

What's up Gold doesn't seem to be able to do this.  Is there,
potentially an addon for Cacti that can do it?  Using Nagios for this
seems to be like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer, but ...

Anyone out there doing anything like this?

I've written some custom SNMP read rules in Nagios that do something
similar. I imagine if you've already got a Nagios implementation in
place, it would be pretty straightforward.

What are you currently using for monitoring?

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu