Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Multiple of Single User Accounts

From: "Flynn, Gerald" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:54:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Barrera, Connie
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:07 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Multiple of Single User Accounts

Greetings to all:

For the different folks who have responded to this thread.  How are you
keeping the "roles" identified in AD updated and hence the associated
access/permissions current?  At least at our school there is a lot of
fluctuation between roles and departmental/position assignment.  There
are often times individuals with dual assignments and it's difficult to
keep access updated due to numerous processes- how do you reconcile
this?

While we currently have many automated processes in place to deal with
terminations and transfers, we continue to search for improvements.  Is
anyone leveraging a commercial IDM solution?

Any insight into your respective solutions is greatly appreciated.

We've got a home grown IdM with a lot of business logic built into
scripts and Peoplesoft SA and HR to resolve high level (student,
employee, affiliate, graduate, mixed) role issues. More granular employee roles
in the SA/HR/FIN systems are still assigned manually through Peoplesoft
security based on requests AFAIK. We're in the midst of rolling out Oracle
IdM to replace the home grown system but last I heard, the granular
employee role assignments will still be done manually in Peoplesoft for
the foreseeable future.