Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: higher education "best practices" for authenticating to campus IT resources

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:55:46 -0400

I hope we can have an updated discussion about this.  We've been having a
campus discussion just in recent weeks.

We accept our Banner systems as providing the level of assurance for proving
identification.  When a person (student, faculty, staff) is entered into
Banner, a person-ID number (GrizzlyID) is randomly generated, and a random
pin is generated.  These credentials can be used to log into only Banner
Self-Service, which we are trying to "phase out" and keep only for portal
disaster recovery purposes.

The Banner G-ID and Pin, both randomly generated and private, are used to
establish NetID and password.  The NetID and password are recorded in our
LDAP environment, which is the source of single-signon to many campus
resources:  network, portal, and email / elearning systems like Moodle and
Elluminate, emergency notification system, our file storage system in
Xythos, library systems, etc.

We still have a couple systems off-campus - TouchNet for credit card payment
and PeopleAdmin for human resource job functions, for example - where we
cannot tie the system into our LDAP directory, so different logins are
used.  We've found integration with vendors problematic, although we have a
very workable solution with SAML and our Google mail environment using our
LDAP directory.

We have file and print services that require domain access and that requires
a different ID and password, authenticated in Active Directory.  Our plan is
to integrate LDAP and AD, but the project is likely going to take us a
couple years (and a domain consolidation).

Like to hear from others -

Theresa Rowe