Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: higher education "best practices" for authenticating to campus IT resources

From: Kevin Kelly <kck () IAS EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:21:26 -0400

Hello,

We offer single sign-on for many of our systems on campus except those systems similar to those that Daniel used as
examples in his original message.  The staff that work on that sort of data use two separate sets of credentials at our
institution - one for signing into the domain and accessing their e-mail and files and another for accessing systems
similar to those that Daniel used as examples in his original message.  In addition, these users are subjected to a
password policy that requires frequent password changes, X previous passwords cannot be used again and password length
and complexity criteria must be met.

Thanks,

Kevin Kelly
Windows Systems Administrator