Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Multiple of Single User Accounts

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:49:00 -0500

Same for us.  One account but contemplating the ramifications of moving to outsourced student mail.  The combined
account does create occasional problems when employees terminate but are still students.  However those situations seem
to be less of a problem than managing multiple accounts and mailboxes for every person who has multiple roles.

My assumption right now is that if we did move to outsourced student e-mail then student employees would get
faculty/staff accounts for conducting business.  Another concern we haven't thought all the way through is if faculty
(and maybe some staff) want to use the outsourced accounts to take part in things like collaboration tools with
students, do we allow it - and if so how do we manage this second account.

Chris

Chris Gregg
Director of Information Technology
Information Resources and Technologies