Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendation of a good secure Flash drive?

From: Richard Hopkins <richard.hopkins () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:29:42 +0100

My recommendations have been:

1. The IronKey. (I understand that there's also going to be a new "D
series" which should be cheaper, but slower, than current offerings.)

2. Any of the Kingston Data Traveler Black Box range (which are FIPS 140-2
compliant).

3. The SafeStick. It's not currently FIPS 140-2 approved, but is expected
to gain approval sometime soon. It is approved by the NHS (National Health
Service)

My favourite is certainly the IronKey.

These days, though, I'll answer the question by saying "anything that's
FIPS 140-2 or CESG approved"

<http://www.cesg.gov.uk/>

If/when pushed, though, I'll still say IronKey.

For less sensitive data, two others to consider are:

1. Integral Crypto Drive (with AES)
2. Hypertec drives (with AES). I'd only recommend the "rugged" versions as
the others are a bit flimsy.

We also make use of TrueCrypt and will be looking at "Bitlocker to go" with
Windoze 7.

Cheers,

Richard

--On Monday, October 19, 2009 3:29 PM -0700 "Urrea, Nick"
Recommendation of a good Secure Flash Drive?

I'm looking for a standalone unit.

----

Nicholas Urrea

Information Technology