Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Insurance - Privacy and Network Liability

From: "Plesco, Todd" <tplesco () CHAPMAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:24:35 -0700

We're in a very similar situation.  I've been onboard since March and
have been trying to close gaps while also doing risk assessments in the
most critical areas identified.  We did pursue cyber insurance per the
risk manager's own project initiative rather than IT's full knowledge of
our tolerance.  (It made adequate business sense.)  The policy has
resulted in "subjectivities" (recommendations with required responses
stating those areas are being addressed.)  Free advice is not always
negative criticism.  I look at it as further re-inforcement.

To keep things in perspective, security is an ongoing process which also
addresses changes in business and changes in technology.  Even NASA was
hit pretty heavily by the GAO's internal IT audit.  The deputy director
had a very good response to the GAO report.  I've kept a similar
approach in the ready for these situations.  While I don't expect any
negative reflections from the recommendations, it is always good to be
able to address them individually should it raise questions.

Todd A. Plesco  CISM, CBCP

Chapman University, Director of Information Security

One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866

Phone: (714) 744-7979/Fax: (714) 744-7041