Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Insurance - Privacy and Network Liability

From: Matthew Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:12:29 -0400

It seems to be an annual occurrence that our President asks my Vice President if we need privacy/network liability
insurance.  Naturally, she then asks me the same question.

We're still in the early stages of building our IT security program and see data loss as one of our most significant
threats.  I'm wondering if privacy/network liability insurance is worthwhile, maybe even just until our IT security
program matures and we're more comfortable with the safeguards we have in place.  Obviously, though, the decision
depends on our risk tolerance and the cost of the policy.

We're also trying to determine if carrying privacy/network liability insurance is becoming any more common for other
schools.  Does anyone care to share their experiences, either purchasing this type of insurance, or researching and
deciding not to purchase?

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Manager of IT Security
Montgomery County Community College
mgiannetto () mc3 edu | (215) 619-7442

Montgomery County Community College is proud to be
the #1 ranked technology-savvy community college in the nation,
as determined by the Center for Digital Education and the
American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).