Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Protecting from phishing

From: John LaPrad <jrl () SVSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:39:47 -0400

Thanks for the responses. We just had another student last night fall for this. The web site they went to was not at
all like ours. But, it was a well done, generic 'support' site. The user was asked to 'login' using their email
credentials. We have been telling folks to not give out their IDs and PWs, but now we have to educate them on being
able to recognize a fake web site. Its a lot harder.
With this fast-flux stuff, I think that a comprehensive up-to-date blacklist not obtainable. So I was trying to think
of a sort of 'white-list' mechanism that might work.
I have realized now that setting up authorized IPs or locations and prompting for an additional step if they login from
a new site is complicated for email, because of smtp, imap, and mobile users.
I think that our users could be required to login via the webmail client at least once from any location to 'validate'
that location. Then they could use these other services, but cookies are only good in the browser, and ISPs can change
the users IP addresses. So that may not be practical.

The days of a 'trusted' Internet are long gone. Its too bad we have to waste so much time on this stuff.

I have looked for an RBL for BGP before. There used to be one called MAPS I believe, but it seems it was bought out by
Tend and then dumped. In any case that would only work for users on campus. We are a commuter campus so most of our
users would go unprotected, unless the ISPs also subscribed to this sort of thing, which might not be a bad idea,
except that you have the whole 'who manages the RBL thing' and how to get off it. And if its black-holing IP addresses,
its quite serious if there are false positives.

John LaPrad
CISSP, CNE, CCNA, CCDA
Manager of Network Services
Saginaw Valley State University