Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Protecting from phishing

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:22:02 -0400

Interesting idea .. it's called 1 and 1/2 factor authentication .. something that you know (your ID and password) and
someplace that you are (your IP address).

It works for banks because they basically have one point of contact - their banking web page. For this to be effective,
you would have to implement it in every
authenticated touch point that you have - not just email (that would only stop the bad guys from using your systems to
send spam)

Not that this would be a bad thing, but I can see that unless you have a common access front end for all of your
services, it would be a lot of work to build.

Keep us informed as to how it goes .. it would be an interesting talk at the SPC.

Thanks,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel